The trials, tribulations and nonsensical babbling of a triathlete training for her first Ironman.

Monday, April 24, 2006

April Showers Bring on A Meltdown

I thought we were going to get lucky this April and maybe have rain during the week and relatively nice weekends. But noooooooooooooo, we had a great week but as soon as Saturday hit--RAIN. Not a downpour (which probably would have been worse) but a steady shower. Made for a VERY unpleasant 5 hour ride on Saturday. Well, I *should* have ridden 5 hours but by the time I was on my 4th loop and I got close to the car, I was done. I couldn't feel my fingers or my toes. My extremities were soaked & cold. I was uncomfortable & dehydrated--riding in the rain makes it very hard for me to stay hydrated for some reason--I think it might have had something to do with the rain pouring down my face, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I managed to ride 4 hours and 7 minutes before I completely lost it. I was shaking like crazy when I got back to the car. I had to get in the car and turn the heat on full blast and put my hands on the vents for about 10 minutes before I got any feeling back into my fingers. I realized afterwards that I had another pair of gloves in the car that I could have changed into. But at that point, I had enough. Sunday was no better but at least my run was short (1 hour and 20 minutes) so I wasn't too soaked by the time I got home. It didn't really start to rain hard until after I got back (yay!). It looks like this weekend will be much of the same. I have a 5 hour and 15 minute ride followed by a 30 minute run. I think I have to work on some kind of plastic bag bootie cover so my feet don't feel like I've gone for a walk in the lake with my shoes on. I also have to work on my hydration. What a disaster that was. I had more than enough to drink with me, I just didn't drink it. Too busy focusing on how crappy the ride was I guess. Oh well, at least I know I"ll be able to practice that again this weekend if the weather holds up!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home