The trials, tribulations and nonsensical babbling of a triathlete training for her first Ironman.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

And so it begins....

Last week one of my training pals sent me a little "Countdown to Ironman" clock and it had 199 days left. Seems like a long way away, yet I know it will be here before I know it. For those of you that don't know what an Ironman is, it is a long distance triathlon consisting of a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and and 26.2 mile (marathon) run, all done consecutively. I have signed up to do one of these in Lake Placid, NY on July 23rd of this year. Am I insane you ask? Somewhat, I think. Why you ask? Because I can, I say. Am I scared? You bet. As my lovely husband always reminds me: "Fear is a great motivator". I am also quiet excited too. Yes, I said excited. I must be insane to get excited about putting my body through 140.6 miles of pain & suffering. There is something about Ironman.....I don't know what it is.....I have been down to Lake Placid almost every year since 2002 (when my husband did it) to watch the race. The excitement and energy is palpable. I think that is what I am looking forward to being a part of--as a participant instead of a spectator.

Giddy up.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katrin Faridani said...

Girlie girl

Glad to see you have joined the land of the bloggers (though there is no land here, it being cyberspace) but still, now I can keep up with a mambo chick this way. 199 days? I plan to be in Turkey then with sister J but will be thinking about you. YOU FREAK!! I love you for it too. Takes one to know one.

Being burried in snow in Bulgaria
Katrin

3:27 AM

 
Blogger Phaedra Kennedy said...

you gave me the idea!! Have fun in turkey with sistah J.

You have snow? Funny, it's like Vancouver here today. Rainy, with a high of 8!! Woohoo!

Phaedra 8)

9:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home